Outcare offers support and advice for young people in detention or remand centres or those just released. Staff visit inmates in Banksia Hill Detention Centre to help them deal with problems and plan for their future. When returning home is problematical, Outcare tries to improve the family situation or helps with finding reliable accommodation.
After release it can be difficult to get back into mainstream services and programs such as education, training, employment, housing and Centrelink. We help by:
- giving advice on which services are needed
- helping to find the right information and make appointments
- providing support to attend appointments
- organising referrals to medical, mental health or substance abuse services
- providing information on emergency relief.
Outcare runs a variety of programs that assist youth who have come into contact with the justice system but have not yet been in detention or prison. Some offer sporting activities, some teach skills like reading, writing, cooking and driving and some help with training or finding employment.